Saturday, July 08, 2006

I give you this quote on scoffing, with a mystery at the end.

(As always, best phrase highlighted for handy referral.)

You know, Gentlemen, it is an easy thing to scoff at any art or
recreation; a little wit mixed with ill nature, confidence, and malice,
will do it; but though they often venture boldly, yet they are often
caught, even in their own trap, according to that of Lucian, the father of
the family of Scoffers:

"Lucian, well skilled in scoffing, this hath writ,
Friend, that's your folly, which you think your wit:
This you vent oft, void both of wit and fear,
Meaning another, when yourself you jeer."

If to this you add what Solomon says of Scoffers, that they are an
abomination to mankind, let him that thinks fit scoff on, and be a

Scoffer still; but I account them enemies to me and all that love Virtue
and A-----

What famous book have I taken this from, and am I merely quoting it in a fit of self parody? Or may it bear relevance to my next post?

2 Comments:

At 4:14 am, Anonymous CJ said...

OK..I'm taking a wild stab in the dark and saying its from Trollope...am I right? Do i get a prize? My second guess is Swift...Do i get second prize as well...?

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Kipper said...

Well, I'll give you a clue and tell you that Trollope's about 150-200 years shy, and Swift's much closer.

Though this quote was taken from an anatomy, is does bear some features of a Menippean satire, so Swift's not all that bad a guess.

You are therefore entitled to an honorary mention for knowing one's literary arse from one's scholarly elbow.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home