Sunday, July 01, 2007

Today I reflect upon women in recent history who retired to Paris to live out the rest of their lives as recluses.

First, there is Maria Callas, who lived as a recluse in Paris from 1974 until her death in 1977.

"Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddam rules."

Then there is Marlene Dietrich who holed herself up in a Parisian apartment for years until her death in 1992.


"I am at heart a gentleman."


Photographer Dora Maar died a recluse in Paris in 1997.



and finally there is the notorious Duchess of Windsor, who's reclusive Parisian life ended in 1986.


"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

2 Comments:

At 10:54 pm, Blogger Patrick said...

I hope you're not thinking of doing that. If you want to go to a cool city to live the rest of your life as a recluse, perhaps directing game teams via e-mail and chat, you should go to Buenos Aires.

 
At 11:03 pm, Blogger Kipper said...

So far I am in Paris, living as a somewhat involuntary recluse (well, if you don't count teh interwebs), but thusfar I have not died.

Buenos Aires, you say? Well, I suppose if Latin America is good enough for Thomas Pynchon...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home