Sunday, September 09, 2007

Ben Harper has kindly uploaded a certain recording to his site at my request.

It's Storwy time again...


As you know, when I was 15 I was no longer allowed to listen to *that* music. And one day while standing around doing my painting homework, as usual tuned into Classic FM to subject myself dutifully to the tedious "standard repertoire" (Mozart piano concertos and the like), something rather shocking occurred.

Suddenly this music came on that I didn't know what to make of. It was surreal, like listening to the sound of a bizarrely wrong universe.

As the most fascinating music I'd ever heard started to play, I flailed around my room (my shed, in fact), knocking over and breaking a few things in my wake, trying to find a tape recorder. I found it and plugged it in to the radio, and managed to record the last half of the piece. For many months after that I played that (extremely bad) tape recording over and over again.

It was to be some years until I found out what it was called and who it was by.

Fogtropes by Ingram Marshall.

1 Comments:

At 1:51 am, Blogger Ben.H said...

Nice story. I heard it on the radio when I was 16, but was already on the lookout for programs that played new music. I still have that cassette in storage in Melbourne; now I think of it, it'd be a different recording of the piece, because I taped it years before the CD came out.

I got to hear Fog Tropes played live earlier this year. Appropriately enough, it was the opening piece at this concert.

Anyway, back to listening to these bootlegged Gordons LPs I just found.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home