Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I will host bridge parties in Paris.

The music selection will include hits such as Noel Coward's "Parisian Pierrot" and Gracie Fields' "I Took My Harp to a Party But Nobody Asked Me to Play".

I will have a table big enough to seat four people, and low enough to seat them at bean bag height. For there will be beanbags - four of them, in high quality vinyl of which I have not yet decided the colour.

In between rubbers there will be tea and scones and whipped cream and Bonne Maman extra fruit version jam and the scones will contain an ingredient that will render us both rather giggly and rather vigilant about whether our opponents have reneged on following suit. And I forgot to specify but I think it ought to be noted that the tea will be Earl Grey and it will be served with unpasteurised raw milk.

When we have played enough we will all go home except for me, because I will be the host and I will already be home.

6 Comments:

At 1:34 am, Blogger Ben.H said...

You are Robert Walser and I claim my five pounds.

 
At 2:02 am, Blogger The Rantolotl said...

Just say no to Earl Grey. Engligh Breakfast ftw.

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger Mariella said...

A friend of mine has founded DREGS: Don't Risk Earl Grey Society.

Perhaps we could have alternate bridge parties? Mine will be in Belfast, and involve Manzanilla and canap├ęs, or maybe port and cigars; but certainly witty repartee and adventurous bidding.

 
At 11:45 pm, Blogger Ben.H said...

I must concur: Earl Grey is disgusting. And so is his tea. Boom boom! Sorry, that was the gunpowder tea.

 
At 5:57 am, Blogger The Rantolotl said...

Mariella.... please tell me more about this DREGS you speak of...

 
At 9:26 am, Blogger Mariella said...

The rantolotl - so sorry I haven't replied, have been drinking my way around several countries, and only just got back to the (comparative) safety of my desk.

To be perfectly honest, I think my friend launched his society on the basis of its name, and hasn't done much with it since. He also has a racing system he is working on, though I don't think that is named.

He lives in Auckland, so perhaps you could start the Melbourne branch.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home