Friday, April 25, 2008

Call me Pendantic Penelope, but I would like to take a moment out to correct the entire planet with regards to the usage of the verb "to damn".

As previously mentioned (see sentence above), the word "damn" is a verb.

Example: Damn your eyes!

To "damn" someone is to condemn them (or in the above case, their eyes) to the fires of hell. Or at least to something unpleasant.

Its past participle, damned, may be used as an adjective for things infernal - things that are presumably already sullied by the fires of hell and are beyond redemption. In fact, damned is synonymous with the word accursed:

"Get this accursed duck out of my shed" = "Get this damned duck out of my shed"


But if I were instead to say "Get this curse duck out of my shed", would you assume that I was either a retard or a foreigner? Yes you would, and fair enough too.

And that is precisely the assumption I make when anyone uses the verb damn as if it were an adjective.

"Get this damn duck out of my shed" is a sentence that is profoundly ungrammatical. Anyone who constructs a like sentence should indeed be condemned to the fires of hell.

Follow this link for a list of organisations and individuals who are, in my opinion, unreconstructed retards.

4 Comments:

At 12:50 am, Blogger The Rantolotl said...

Can we now cover they're/their/there, where/we're/were & its/it's now?

Seriously, can we? I am frequently amazed at how often people cock those up. Personally, I thought those words should more or less be covered by about, say, grade four?

Damn them all.

 
At 8:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:45 am, Blogger Kipper said...

Um, I don't remember meeting you Damien.... jog my memory? If you have my email address give me a yell (I don't have yours).

 
At 10:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home