Monday, November 17, 2008


River outside the cafe.

Having an ultra-portable PC is like having a dog. It helps you make friends with strangers. They come up to your table in a cafe and start talking to you.

“Ooh your dog/computer is sooo cute! You know, my friend Bill has this breed/model of dog/mini PC too and he says these french poodles/EEE PCs are so good natured/convenient. I'm thinking of getting one too, actually.”


Shop that sells model boats

I have one of these conversations once every couple of days. They generally lead into conversations on more general topics, like: “Can you recommend a good tailor?”*. This evening it lead to:

“So what do you do for work, anyway?”

“Game development.”

“Wow that's so cool! Lots of money in that, I bet.”

“Er, no, actually. What do you do?”

“IT, corporate stuff. Kind of a boring industry to work in, huh.”

“No, not at all. I hear that in your industry they pay actual money in exchange for work. There's nothing boring about that – in fact I find the idea rather exciting. Revolutionary, even. So tell me, Flex applications vs Silverlight vs JavaFx...”


* which makes me feel like I'm in a P.G.Wodehouse novel, and I love that because I quite fancy the idea of spending time in a PGWodehouse novel

2 Comments:

At 11:25 pm, Blogger The Rantolotl said...

You stay well away from Silverlight. No good can come of it, and you know it.

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger WOW power leveling said...

Yes! Your blog is great, and I know something about the night elves, they are the race I WOW power leveling when I get my first account:The reclusive Night Elves power leveling[ were the first race to awaken in the World of Warcraft Power Leveling. These shadowy, immortal beings were the first to study magic and let it loose throughout the world nearly ten thousand years before Warcraft I. The Night Elves' reckless use of magic drew the Burning Legion into the world and led to a catastrophic war between the two titanic races. The Night Elves barely managed to banish the Legion from the world, but their wondrous homeland was shattered and drowned by the sea. I love this race and suggested everyone that start their WOW power leveling a rogue or druidof night elf

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home