Saturday, December 13, 2008

I am back in Melbourne on Wednesday, a city in which I will be embarking on a grand experiment. The experiment is motivated by my sudden need for money - money that I need to buy my way into French residency.

So what is this experiment? It is this: I am finally going to do the unthinkable, and attempt to find work outside of the game industry.

I've never entertained the the notion before, because I have never needed to. But lack of funds is standing in between me and French residency and I'm damned if I'm going to be shut out of France for much longer.

My decision recalls to mind all those things friends and colleagues have tried to impress upon me over the years. Quite inadvertantly I am now taking their advice:

"If you want to be designing the kind of games you want to make, you have to leave the industry. Yeah, you could stick around to get more experience, but is that going to bring you any closer to your goals? No, it's not."

"The Australian game industry is no place for a woman. The only women who have gotten ahead are the ones who have left the industry or left the country. What makes you think you're any different? Leave!"

"I love my new job. The work is kind of interesting, but not too hard. I work 9 to 5. And the pay is good. Very good, actually."

"People think you're weird - a bit of a curiosity - and they don't take you seriously. In management meetings they brand you a trouble-maker. You have an image problem, and it's not doing you any favours."

"You get paid *how much*? Are you kidding me? So you've been doing this for ten years, right? And when do you expect to earn a decent wage - after another ten years?"

"Do you want me to see if I can get you a job on our IT help desk?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home